As a retailer, you no doubt recognize how huge e-commerce has become these days. And, while it may be difficult sometimes, e-commerce also comes with many advantages, making it an attractive and profitable sales channel for business owners.
The more traffic you drive to your website—especially through organic search—the more opportunities you have to generate qualified leads and potentially sell your product or service and grow your business.
According to BrightEdge, approximately 51% of website traffic comes from organic search results. Furthermore, over 40% of revenue is captured by organic traffic.
Even so, because search rank is competitive, many marketers and website owners pay to play. In other words, they opt for the Pay Per Click (PPC) route—it’s fast, effective, and provides high-visibility.
The problem is, when you stop paying, you also pull the plug on visibility. Conversely, organic search traffic has staying power.
To help you increase organic traffic to your website, we’re sharing the 5 tips below:
#1 – Use Video Marketing
Video content is now an essential part of today’s digital society. Many businesses have incorporated videos into their marketing strategies in order to communicate with their target audience in a way that is easy to consume on the go, yet at the same time, provides flexibility, value, and relevance.
In addition to effectively engaging people, videos can also improve your SEO and therefore, your website rankings.
As SE Ranking points out, videos deliver large amounts of information in a very short amount of time. Videos also tell stories, sticking in people’s minds longer. Lastly, videos improve the user experience by communicating everything that people like through a seamless blending of visuals, sounds, and movement. And it certainly doesn’t hurt that videos can easily be watched on mobile phones.
According to research conducted by HubSpot, about 50% of consumers want to see videos from brands—more than any other type of content. Just like with other kinds of digital marketing, there are some actions you can take with video marketing that will help you make your overall strategy more productive. Here are some things you should consider:
- Invest: Put time and effort into the video content you create – this will definitely pay off in the long run.
- Diversify: Try to make different videos: tutorials and guides, storytime, commentary, and so on.
- Upgrade: Buy new equipment when you can and upgrade the quality of your videos with time.
- Inform: Make your videos informative and try to make your viewers get as much interesting or educational information as possible.
- Entertain: Entertaining content engages by having an underlying value of its own, apart from your product or service.
Now’s the time to enter the video arena as experts predict that more than 80% of all consumer traffic will be videos by 2021.
#2 – Focus On SEO
“SEO (Search engine optimization) is the process of making a web page easy to find, easy to crawl, and easy to categorize,” says EDUCBA. It’s about helping your customers find your business from among thousands of other companies.
Neglecting SEO is like throwing away website traffic. In fact, 70% of marketers view SEO as more effective than PPC, and 61% of marketers say improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority.
Incorporating good SEO strategies, like the ones below, will boost your overall search engine optimization:
- Keywords: Using keywords is important but finding a balance between using enough keywords and using too many of them is essential for SEO.
- Links: Both internal and external links can be extremely helpful in boosting the rankings of your e-commerce website.
- Visuals: Images, GIFs, videos, and other visual content can significantly improve your SEO, especially if you use them in combination with text.
- Meta: Metadata such as meta descriptions is fundamental, even though it might be scary to fill it out at first.
“If your prospective customers are searching in Google, Bing, and Yahoo to find your products or services, then you need an SEO strategy,” says Mainstreet ROI.
But don’t jump into it with the goal of ranking #1 in the search results. SEO is more about generating leads and sales.
#3 – Start Guest Blogging
As far back as 2014, many experts declared that guest blogging was dead. But other folks disagree. Over at Hallam, in fact, they mention that most marketing experts believe that guest blogging is fast becoming one of the best online marketing strategies for businesses.
Not only does guest blogging set you up as a thought leader within your industry, but it also allows you to “talk” directly to your target audience. It also helps you build brand awareness and provides you with valuable backlinks—if relevant and good quality sites in your industry are linking to you, you’ll end up ranking higher.
If you’re not used to creating a lot of written content, a professional writer can do this work for you. Another idea is to translate your old articles into other languages with the help of a translation service like The Word Point and use them to attract foreign audiences to your website.
When it comes to looking for blogs to write for, try to find the ones that are in the same niche as you. For example, if you sell clothes, fashion blogs should be the ones you target and ultimately write for.
“Publishing useful content on high quality, relevant websites can benefit your search engine rankings greatly, and ultimately bring more traffic to your site. It will also build your authority in the industry and bring others in your sector to you as a thought leader and expert in your field.”
#4 – Leverage Email Marketing
Email marketing is considered one of the most effective forms of digital marketing and delivers incredible ROI ($42 for every $1 you invest). It can be used in many ways and integrated into your advertising campaign very smoothly and seamlessly.
Here are several reasons why you should seriously consider leveraging email marketing as soon as possible:
- Newsletter: A weekly or monthly newsletter can help you increase engagement and drive more traffic to your website by linking the newsletter to your new content.
- Transactions: When somebody makes a purchase on your website, send them an email confirming their purchase with any other product recommendations you can think of.
- Promotions: Sending promotional emails can help you attract more attention to new products in your store.
- Gifts: Customers love gifts and discounts, so make sure to send them emails with these from time to time to improve loyalty.
- Sales: And, of course, if there is a sale in your e-commerce store, you will benefit a lot from sending notification emails about it.
“If you’re running a real business, email is still the most effective way to universally reach people who have eexpressed interest in your product or site. For that, it really can’t be beaten.”
#5 – Do Social Media Marketing
“Close to three billion people (3,000,000,000!) use social media,” says Buffer. “By being present on social media platforms, you give your brand an opportunity to be discovered by your future customers.”
The company goes on to say that publishing to social media can be as simple as sharing a blog post, an image, or a video on a social media platform. It’s important to plan your content ahead of time instead of spontaneously creating and publishing content when the mood strikes.
In order to maximize your reach on social media, it’s imperative that you publish content that your audience likes—with the right timing and frequency.
If you largely rely on visuals, it’s better to use Instagram or Pinterest, but if you create a lot of text content, you will want to use Facebook. Just think about whichever is more suitable to your business and opt for that. It’s a good idea to create a posting schedule and publish content regularly which will guarantee that your audience stays engaged.
“Social media can help you build brand recognition, foster a community around your business, and grow your bottom line,” states Text Request. That’s probably why 92% of small business owners who use social media consider it important for their business.
To sum up, by using these simple strategies, you’ll be better able to find the most effective ways for you to drive traffic to your e-commerce website. You can combine them for better results, but even using them separately can be beneficial.
According to Steve Scott, the most important thing when it comes to driving traffic is “to “double down” on what’s working and purposefully ignore the rest.”
Find out how retailers like you are saving time and making money with the Rain POS system. POS, E-commerce, and Marketing all in one.