How Video Affects SEO & What You Can do About It
According to Kissmetrics, video is the one type of content that is still underutilized in the world of SEO. While many brands are incorporating video content into their online marketing strategies, most businesses don’t place enough emphasis on it, opting for infographics, images, and various types of written content
When used correctly, video offers a powerful form of content that can make a significant impact on your SEO strategy. In fact, one study revealed that web pages with a video are 53 times more likely to rank on the first page of Google search results (Source: Shareaholic).
Video’s Promising Future
As of 2014, the Cisco Visual Networking Index indicated that video already accounted for up to 64% of all internet traffic, and was expected to grow to 80% by 2019.
Based on information found on Search Engine Land, video advertising spend is expected to nearly double to $14.38 billion by 2019, with mobile growth averaging 65% each year. Surprisingly, even desktop will experience growth in video advertising at an average rate of 11.5% per year.
Why is Video So Effective?
The reason video is enjoying such rapid growth in advertising is because of its effectiveness. According to Forrester, one minute of video translates to 1.8 million words of text in the message communicated.
“Even with that much information crammed into one message,” says Search Engine Land, “consumers remember videos.” In fact, the Online Publishers Association reveals that 80% of users said they recalled watching a video ad in the past month and 46% of them followed up the message with looking for more information or visiting the advertiser’s website.
Furthermore, in a survey of 2000 consumers, conducted by the Local Search Association, it was discovered that:
- 44% of buyers watched an online video while looking for local products and services
- 53% of video viewers contacted the business after watching the message
- 51% of viewers visited the brand’s website and 33% visited the store
- 71% of video viewers made a purchase
According to Search Engine Land, “There remain some obstacles to using video, especially for small businesses.” The Local Search Association reports that 47% of people surveyed indicated a lack of budget as a drawback, while 45% said they had no one with the necessary expertise to generate compelling content.
Fortunately, there are a variety of ways to simplify video production. Here’s what bieMEDIA, a provider of online video marketing content, has to say about it:
“The price of online video production is dropping dramatically due to the technology required to shoot, edit and distribute online video.”
Source: Search Engine Land
One of the most successful examples of a budget-friendly video is Dollar Shave Club’s viral promotion. Although the video cost just $4,500 to produce, it resulted in 12,000 orders within 48 hours. Flash forward three years, and today the video has been viewed approximately 20 million times.
While we’re not guaranteeing that you’ll enjoy the same success, the Dollar Shave Club’s experience clearly demonstrates that it’s not necessary to have a six-figure budget in order to create compelling video content.
Search Engine Land offers 5 ways local businesses can keep video production simple and inexpensive:
- Use animation – Videos needn’t be mini-movies featuring actors and special effects. Animation is a popular medium that can be kept quite simple.
- Create a photo montage – Parallax technology creates motion through the use of still photos.
- Keep it short – A recent Microsoft study revealed that people have an attention span of only eight seconds (shorter than a goldfish). You’d be surprised how much information can be communicated via video in a very short time, like the six-second Lowes video on this page.
- Scrap the script – Because video communicates so much on its own visually, it’s not always necessary to have a script for it.
- Bundle – Include video with other services such as websites, landing pages, and enhanced listings to help keep costs down.
- Incorporate these 8 Tips on Using Video to Improve SEO into your marketing strategy.
“The popularity of online video presents a huge opportunity for SEOs willing to get creative to achieve results,” says Kissmetrics. While quality is just as important with video as it is when producing any other form of content, that doesn’t mean it has to break the bank.
Not only is video growing more affordable and accessible for small businesses, it’s universally loved by consumers, viewed frequently, and, perhaps most importantly, it’s remembered—five awesome reasons to adopt video info your marketing strategy this year!